Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ornament Wreath Do-Over

2010 Vintage Ornament Wreath

Last year I attempted my first vintage ornament wreath and while it was very pretty, I knew that it could be better. First of all, the ornaments were merely stung onto a wire hanger base and therefore a lot of them were facing the wall! Also, because the wreath wasn't flat on the back, it didn't quite hang right.

2009 Vintage Ornament Wreath

So a couple of weeks ago, I carefully disassembled the wreath and started fresh.

I saw some ornament wreaths at Pier 1 and I noted that there was a tinsel garland peeking out from between the ornaments:

Pier 1 Wreath


After collecting MANY more ornaments this year, I started over with a straw wreath form. I wrapped it with green tinsel garland. Also, I took the top off of each ornament and filled the necks with construction adhesive. I made sure that each metal top and wire loop was securely affixed to the inside of the ornament. It takes about 24 hours for the adhesive to dry. Then I used greening pins to attach each ornament to the wreath form. It took forever. There are over a hundred ornaments!

I love the way it turned out. Until next Christmas...

2 comments:

The Scarlett said...

Really pretty! I've often admired these. How do you store them?

LauraK said...

Laid it flat on a shelf in the closet all year...