Sunday, September 23, 2012

Deconstruct - Reconstruct


 I've picked up several of these black velvet skirts at thrift shops - they usually start off like this:



And after some cutting, sewing and adding vintage laces, buttons and trims, they look like this:


I have quite a stash of vintage black laces that I've collected over the years.   It's about time I invented a use for them.  Of course the MOP buttons also found their way onto the skirt as well as this darling little bow...


I'm not totally happy with the design yet - I have incorporated the lining into the center tier of the skirt and the hems are raw.    I was going for a "tattered" look, which is a stretch for me.

Since it's hard to get the hem even, the next one will have a more deliberately asymmetric hem.  Also, I think I want more fullness in the ruffle.  

Please stay tuned...

No comments: